Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Late March brought clouds three days in a row now

So of course you come to mind
the day i cave
give in and eat a slice a pie
that i fake enjoy
or kind of do
but inevitably don't
unless you understand, you won't.

It was Vermont Ave. and Los Feliz theater and all the old spots
where your beguiling good looks charmed me.
See when the days are chill like they are today, the clouds congregate
and two or three drops made it to my head,
engulfed in asle 'HH' at The Greek,
I thought of the 'one single tear' shot you'd romanticize about
detachment forced upon the one who promised to hold.
Like when you noticed I'd gone,
further adrift,
into an invisable wall for lightning bugs.

And I know you're doing fine.
 I know you are. I know you are.
but there is really no way for me to know
you are.

So I talk about you over pie to my employer.
Key Lime pie.
Whipped Cream. Small bites.

Home, to a new prescription pill
Mahalia Jackson and an old habit
strung out like some stocky bowler's pitch
I resolve to reach for you.

To reach out.
To sing a heartsong over all them cars
n' step with you in a summer dance.
To swim over to the island you dropped anchor at
n' lick up around your feet when you stand ashore.
Just to push-in on you, frothy.
To wrap myself around you one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment